Dark leafy greens are the foods most missing in our modern diet, yet the most important food you can eat. Learning to cook and eat leafy greens—kale, spinach, bok choy, dark leafy lettuce, watercress, Swiss chard, collard greens, broccoli, Dandelion greens—is essential to creating long lasting health. When you nourish yourself with greens, you will naturally crowd out the foods that don’t serve you. Greens help build our internal rainforest and strengthen the blood and respiratory systems. Green is associated with spring, the time of renewal, refreshment and vital energy. In Asian medicine, green is related to the liver, emotional stability and creativity.
Nutritionally, greens are very high in calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorous, zinc and vitamins A, C, E and K. They are crammed with fiber, folic acid, chlorophyll and many other micronutrients and phytochemicals. Greens also contain a significant amount of protein. Whenever possible, choose organic. But eating non-organic greens is much better than not eating any greens at all.
Some of the benefits from eating dark leafy greens are: blood purification, cancer prevention, improved circulation, strengthened immune system, promotion of healthy intestinal flora, more energy, clear skin and bright eyes, lifted spirit, better elimination, improved liver, gall bladder and kidney function, cleared congestion. If you continue to drink green juice and make it a daily habit, you will also notice weight loss.
I love green juice (it’s actually a smoothie.) and so will you. It is the foundation of your day and this program; the answer to my every worry (well mostly); therapy in a glass; the secret to healthy eating and if drank on a daily will help with weight loss, elimination, food cravings, stress, better sleep, radiant skin and so much more. If there is one thing to do to be your best self, start drinking a green smoothie on the daily. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. The intention alone to make this a priority will begin the shift towards a healthier mindset. Here is the recipe that works for me. This is my favourite combo.
Green Smoothies are mostly green & leafy vegetables & some fruit, blended with water or coconut water. So simple, but so powerful! They will:
- Boost your energy
- Make your skin glow
- Tame your cravings for sweet and salty foods
- Aid in weight loss
- Crowd out foods that don’t serve
- One of the most nutrient dense foods you can consume, think vitamins, essential minerals, fiber, calcium, protein and more.
Here’s why I love them and why you will too.
Green Smoothies are: Fiber filled: Fruit and green leafy vegetables are packed with healthy fiber. Fiber helps digestion and eases elimination issues. Fiber also makes you feel full, which keeps you from making unhealthy food choices out of desperation. Nutrient Dense: So many of us are carrying extra weight and eating a bit too much, but our body is still starving – not starving for more calories – but starving for nutrients. Green Smoothies are nutrient rich. They’re packed with vitamins, minerals, amino acids (what protein is made of), and antioxidants (which help fight disease). The nutritional power of green smoothies does more than feed your body – it heals your body. Alkaline: Helping your body have an alkaline PH level fights inflammatory-based diseases such as cancer, diabetes, arthritis and autoimmune diseases. Because Green Smoothies are made of fresh fruits and vegetables they are an ideal anti-inflammatory food.
10 Ways to Fit Green Smoothies into Busy Lives
Here’s how to prep these nutritional powerhouses in the midst of busy lives? Getting into the green smoothie habit is so much easier with these time-saving strategies:
- HAVE THE BASICS ON HAND
- Ensure that the basic ingredients of green smoothies are staples on your grocery list so your refrigerator is always loaded with greens. Remember we want the bulk of the smoothie to be green veggies.
- KEEP BANANAS and TROPICAL FRUIT IN THE FREEZER
- Peel overripe bananas and frozen tropical fruit keep them in a plastic bag. These add sweetness and creaminess to any green smoothie.
- CREATE SMOOTHIE PACKS
- To prepare for several days, assemble 5 ziplock bags filled with all ingredients needed, except liquid. All that’s left to do is add liquid DAY OF, blend and enjoy 10 extra minutes of advanced prep time=5 days’ worth of effortless smoothies.
- PREPARE THE NIGHT BEFORE
- Load the blender with desired ingredients the night before. Store in refrigerator overnight. In the morning, add liquid and blend.
- INVEST IN GOOD TOOLS
- A large chopping board, a sharp knife, salad spinner, a good blender—I love my Vitamix—and use it 4 times a day sometimes. Green smoothies come out super smooth in a high-speed blender. Yes, you can make your green smoothie in a regular blender. You just may need to cut up your veggies smaller and blend them for longer amount of time.
- There’s no “right” way to make a green smoothie – only what’s right for you. You want to be making green smoothies you love to drink. Yes, it may take a bit of getting used to drinking a glass of greens, but you’ll love the way it makes you feel. You will start to crave them. I swear by that. Let me tell you, every single one of my clients, every one, are addicted to the juice. Not such a bad vice to have.
- The point of a green smoothie is to incorporate a boatload more greens (super nutrient dense food) and more fiber into your diet.
- There are a lot of smoothies out there called green smoothies. However, many of them are fruit smoothies with a small handful of baby spinach thrown in. I encourage you to make your green smoothies very green, like the recipes above or others on here. It may take a bit of experimenting to make your ‘just-right’ green smoothie. Have patience and experiment.