We are so lucky, dining-wise. This city is a buzz with sustainable, green and farm-to-table dining options. But there is still a standout of healthy spots that make the Nourished hit list. Of course home cooked is best—your inner chef has the salt/sugar/oil control—but we all still love to dine out. Here’s the Nourished picks:
- Sejuiced: This cozy West 4th hideaway is big on sprouted vegan sandwiches, veggie burgers, salads and rice bowls along with smoothies, and juices (hence its name) and low on the glam quotient. However the food rocks. It’s the place to load up on healthy eats without any pretentious beats.
- Acorn: You can have your cake and eat it too at this vegetarian/vegan Main Street haute restaurant. The cozy, candlelit bar serves fabulous health infused elixirs; the raw lasagna will have you second guessing why you ever even ate the the cooked beef version and the kale caesar is killer. But diners beware, just because there’s no meat here, doesn’t mean dinner entries that are fried are Nourished approved.
- East is East: Anytime I need a good girl friend catch up, this East side parlour is my go to. (There is also one in Kitts.) Warm spiced chai tea, a feel good vibe and late live evening acts spark up the juiciest girl chat. But once the food is served, the velvety rich eggplant always reign in conversation.Their signature ‘feast’ is the best way to discover healthy flavours from the East.
- Heirloom: Bright, white and lofty, this South Granville room serves up the classic vegetarian—quinoa, lentil pattes, salads—in style. Healthy elite ladies lunch here to refuel from their recent retail therapy. No time for the full sit down? Heirloom Juice Co—up the street—powers up smoothies, clean crisp juices and a small, but tasty array of salads, sides and bliss balls.
- Cafe Deux Soleil: This grungey Commercial boite has been here since no meat was trendy. It is a tried and true with its earthy vibe and classic vegetarian fare. Breakfast and lunch—pick from a long list of veggie burgers—are stellar and dinner takes on a whole different vibe with open mic and improv night.
- Green Mustache: I’m addicted to the one in Whistler and so this Kitts outpost is a welcoming addition to upper 4th Ave. It is as healthy as Nourished can get. Love their collard wraps with house dressing, raw veggie chili, superfood smoothies and interesting juice combos. Sit here at a sunny table and relish in just how fabulous fit and healthy is.
- Nuba: Kitts, Gastown, Main and Yaletown, I can’t get enough of the hummus, picked red cabbage, cauliflower and fattush salads here. Washed down with a hydrating and restorative cucumber, lemon and celery tonic. Thank God I can be just about anywhere in the city to get my phix.
- The Parker: Ok, so this small Strathcona gluten-free gem is candlelit cool. They can do just about anything to tofu and make it taste great. I love the chef’s tasting menu paired with something fruity from the superb list of biodynamic wines. Sulphites are not good for us, remember.