Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
Everyday people ask me what makes me so healthy. I have certain habits that have just become my everyday. I truly believe that it’s the small, daily, consistent decisions that defines who we are. I have been living the Nourished lifestyle for so long now that these healthy habits have become my rituals.
However, habits don’t always serve us. The first step on changing your patterns is identifying what habits aren’t serving you? What do you do everyday without even thinking? Think of the patterns you have formed in your lives. I am not saying they are necessarily bad, but consider if they are serving you and if you do them merely out of routine.
- Do you drink coffee? Do you like it? Or is more of a habit? (I ask this because so many of my clients just drink coffee because that’s what they do in the morning. But it doesn’t have to be that way. I am not saying coffee is bad for you. Just asking you to think about what you do and why.)
- What do you eat? Do you eat something because that is what you always do? Maybe it is that daily dessert that keeps the weight on and makes you groggy at night. Is it serving you?
- How do you eat? Do you give thanks? Do you breathe when you eat?
- Do you eat because you are hungry?
- What do you do upon waking up?
- Do you aimlessly check your email?
- What is #1 waste of your time?
My habits have made me who I am over time. They are constantly evolving as I evolve and I am always redefining them to serve me. I will share with you some of them.
They are in order from wake to sleep
- I mediate for at least 5 minutes
- I dry brush my body
- I drink hot water and lemon
- I drink a matcha tea with a teaspoon of coconut oil
- I eat half an avocado
- I drink green juice
- I eat greens at every meal
- I do yoga 4-5x a week
- I lift weights 2x a week
- I include chia, flax and hemp seeds daily into my diet
- I keep gluten and sugar to a low if any (I love carrot cake on my bday)
- Drink pints of water
- Skip all processed meats and foods
- Choose veggies over any other foods
- Take probiotics
- I walk outside
- Eat lighter dinners
- Take a magnesium supplement drink before bed
- Shut electronics off at night
- Breathe deeply
- Practice gratitude
- I sleep at least 7-8 hours a night (I don’t sacrifice much for sleep)
What healthy habits have become your rituals?