Kick the sugar once and for all. Here’s how:
- 1. EAT ENOUGH WHOLE FOODS: When we don’t eat enough low sugar whole foods during the day, our body naturally craves calories. That afternoon cookie binge? Junk food splurge after 4? Eating sufficient amounts of whole foods is the simplest and fastest way to reduce cravings. Check-in with yourself to make sure you’ve eaten enough. Did you skip breakfast? Had a bagel lunch? Load up on greens. Eat grass-fed meats, wild fish, vegetables, legumes, non-gluten grains like quinoa, millet and good fats like avocados and coconut.
Simple Trick: Try a green smoothie to curb cravings.
- 2. HYDRATE: Sugar cravings often arise because of dehydration. When the craving comes, drink water. Down a huge glass of water when you wake up. This hydrates and encourages healthy eating all day. Make 2 liters of water your daily regime.
Simple Trick: Flavour water with lemon, parsley, berries.
- 3. CURB CRAVINGS WITH FRUIT/ STEVIA: Stevia is a plant with sweet leaves that is used as a low-carbohydrate, low glycemic sugar that doesn’t feed yeast in the body. Add stevia to teas, smoothies, baking or desserts. Commit to eating fruit and only using stevia for two weeks.
Simple Trick: Splash stevia and apple cider vinegar to water.
- 4. TAKE A DAILY PROBIOTIC: When our gut bacteria is out of balance, we crave sugar (amongst other things). Probiotics replenish intestinal flora and restore the gut system.
Simple Trick: Take a daily probiotic with at least 5 billion active cells.
- 5. EXPLORE EMOTIONAL ISSUES Find and pursue “sweet satisfaction” in nourishing experiences other than food. Sugar cravings come more from an emotional need not being met. Where in your life needs to be sweetened up?
Simple Trick: Turn inward and not toward the freezer.
Remember, your body is naturally hypersensitive to sugar. But you can curb it.
- WATCH SUGAR In Disguise: Corn syrup, corn sugar, high fructose corn syrup, sucrose, dextrose, honey, molasses, turbinado sugar and brown sugar. Most of the “complex” carbohydrates we consume like bread, bagels and pasta aren’t really complex at all. They are usually highly refined and act just like sugars in the body and are to be avoided.