Greetings from NYC. I am here on a mission to revamp my sister’s diet so she can reclaim her health. The first thing we are conquering is her cheese addiction. And her infamous ‘cheese plate.’ Sound familiar? Contrary to popular belief, dairy doesn’t do the body good, nor does it build healthy bones. Here’s why it’s time to think twice before you cut the cheese:
- WEAKENS BONES: We have been bombarded with ads about milk building strong bones. North Americans eat the most dairy and yet have the HIGHEST incidence of osteoporosis. “Why,” you ask. Dairy causes inflammation and acid. And acid breaks down the bones. Magnesium is a mineral found in chlorophyll (and all green vegetables). Our bodies need it to absorb calcium. Unfortunately, milk has about 12 times more calcium than magnesium, so we don’t even absorb milk’s high calcium. Green vegetables have equal levels of both magnesium and calcium. WAKE UP CALL: EAT your greens— Kale, Spinach , Mustard Greens, Bok Choy, Broccoli, Collard Greens, Edamame. Organic Almonds, Brazilian Nuts, Flax Seeds, Almond Milk, Sesame Seeds , Beans, Herring are all sources of more absorbable calcium. Go-Go Juice has more absorbable calcium than milk. Start drinking it daily.
- TOXIC : Cows are mechanically milked over and over again. They are also injected with antibiotics to avoid infection. Over time, these antibiotics are toxic on our organs. Dairy has been linked in countless scientific studies to cancer and other serious health problems including: Leukemia, Breast Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colon Cancer, Cataracts, Colic, Heart disease, Anemia, Intestinal Bleeding, Arthritis, and Lymphoma.
- WEIGHT GAIN : Dairy products, especially cheese and ice cream, are high in saturated fat and cholesterol. Eat too much and well, the pounds pile on, not to mention artery clogging. Beware: Casein, the protein in dairy, is highly addictive.
- LACTOSE INTOLERANT: IBS, gastrointestinal issues, digestion problems, stomach pain, gas, grayish uneven skin, eczema, diarrhea. Wake up call: These are not normal. Most people don’t even realize they are lactose intolerant and just deal with these issues as part of normal life. NO. If you have any issues, ditch the dairy and notice improvements.
- HORMONAL ISSUES/EARLY PUBERTY: Milk is meant to be a short-term nutrient for newborns. Baby cows drink their mother cow’s milk in order to grow into big, strong, healthy cows. Baby humans drink their human mother’s milk to grow into strong, smart, healthy humans. Mammal milk contains the specific nutrients each species needs to grow into their healthiest adult self. Um, I think we are on the same page here—I’d rather not resemble a cow. Definitely, not my best, most Nourished self. Humans are the only mammals that continue to drink milk after infancy. Dairy cows are cruelly artificially inseminated over and over and over again (until they can no longer stand) in order to produce milk. These cows are pumped with hormones. Hormones wreak havoc on our own bodies, and have been linked to acne, 8 year-olds becoming women, and even cancer.
VERDICT: Ditch dairy for good. Going dairy-free is so much easier than you think! You will notice a difference from digestion to elimination. Make your own. Creamy and delicious, use this nut mlyk recipe with whatever nut you like. Or even easier, add 1/4 cup hemp seed to 2 cups water. Blend! Check out the insanely dairy-free ice cream at nourished.ca. After eating Reece’s, you won’t miss conventional ice cream, I swear.
It’s time you ditch the dairy. Tell us how you have ditched the dairy here.