Don’t let the long ingredient list scare you. The majority of it you should have, and if not buy double so you will have for the next time you make this soup (tomorrow, it’s that good.) I love the soup for the clean and subtle lime and cilantro flavours. Loaded in healthy fats—the fats that makes us skinny—and greens, this soup is an easy weekday dinner.
- 2 14 ounce cans coconut milk. I like full fat, healthier!
- 1 heaping TBLS Thai red curry paste
- 1 bunch cilantro roots, rinsed well
- 2 chicken breasts, thinly sliced. Omit if doing Vegetarian.
- 2 cups bone broth
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 Kefir lime leaves
- 2 stalks lemon grass, halved lengthwise, woody leaves removed
- 2 TBLS fish sauce
- 2 limes zest and juice
- A thumbsize of ginger
- A handful bean sprouts
- 1 package brown rice noodles, sometimes I just omit these if not feeling carby!
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves, rinsed well
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- handful of spinach, watercress or kale ... whatever your fav green leafie is.
- A dash of soy sauce for finishing
Scoop the thick coconut cream from the top one cans into a large stockpot set over a medium-high heat. Melt the cream, add the curry paste and stir for a few minutes until they begin to sizzle.
Add the cilantro roots and chicken and sauté until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Add the coconut milk from both cans along with the bone broth, carrot, lime leaves, lemon grass, fish sauce and lime zest and juice. Grate the frozen ginger into it. Simmer for 20 minutes or so.
Stir in the bean sprouts. Add the rice noodles, gently pushing them beneath the surface of the broth. Turn off the heat and let stand until the noodles soften, about 5 minutes. Rice noodles don’t need to cook like pasta; they just need to rehydrate in hot liquid.
Remove the lemon grass stalks and Kefir lime leaves.
Stir in most of the cilantro leaves. Taste and season with soy sauce as needed. Ladle into large bowls and garnish with the green onions, leafy greens and remaining cilantro leaves.
Lets Make Healthy Your Habit
Get In the Know. Sign Up Now!