This light, yet rich tasting rich dish is warming in winter weather. Nutrient dense, this veggie dish is boasting with antioxidants and beta carotene and exploding with robust savoury flavour.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, preferably rounder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chickpeas, drained and rinsed if using canned
- 1/2 to 1 cup vegetable broth
- cilantro for garnish
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes
Preheat oven to 400. Scrub sweet potatoes and pierce several times with a fork. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour until tender.
Combine cloves, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, paprika, and salt; set aside.
In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté shallot until translucent, 4-5 minutes. Stir in spices and cook for 1 minute more. Add stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, and 1/2 cup vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and add chickpeas. Continue to simmer for at least 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are done. Add more vegetable broth if desired.
Slit sweet potato and gently squeeze open. Remove part of the insides of the sweet potato reserving for a separate use or stir into chickpeas. Ladle chickpea mixture over sweet potato and serve with a sprinkle of cilantro.
Option to add kale or other greens to chickpea mixture.