Veggie-Centric Soba Noodle Soup
This traditional Japanese dish is one of my favorites especially on cool nights. Warming noodles in a steaming broth loaded with veggies. This rendition is with tofu, but chicken can easily be substituted. But go meatless. It is better for you and the earth. This can also be gluten free with the substitution of rice noodles instead of traditional buckwheat.
- 1 cups Soba noodles
- 2 tbsp Toasted sesame oil
- 1 Onion cut into thin moons
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 3 Carrots cut into matchsticks
- 8 Mushrooms cut into bite size pieces (I like shitake)
- 4 cups Water
- 1/4 cups Bragg's liquid amino acid gluten free and healthier soy sauce alternative
- 1/2 lb Firm tofu cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp Ginger freshly grated
- 2 cups Greens (bok choy, kale, spinach) chopped
- 2 Scallions sliced
- Prepare noodles according to package. Drain set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion, garlic; saute until onion begins to soften.
- Add carrots, mushrooms; saute a few minutes more.
- Add water, Bragg’s, tofu and ginger. Bring heat up to a simmer. Cover and let simmer 10 minutes.
- Add greens until leaves are bright green.
- Ladle soup over noodles. Garnish with scallions.