Savoury Pumpkin Coconut Soup
The perfect fall/winter soup. Sweet and savoury, it is brimming with skin and organ clearing phytonutrients. Serve with a salad and dinner is served.
- 1 lb Pumpkin, butternut squash or acorn squash halved, peeled and seeded
- 2 cloves Garlic peeled and minced
- 1 thumb Fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 3 sticks Lemongrass outer leaves removed and minced
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1-2 splash Olive oil
- 1 White onion peeled and finely diced
- 1 quart Chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup Coconut shredded
- 2 cups Coconut milk
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- Roast the pumpkin at 350°F until flesh is tender.
- In a large soup pot cook the onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent and brown. Add the chili powder, curry powder, lemongrass, ginger, pumpkin flesh, coconut milk, shredded coconut and stock. Stir for a minute to coat and then bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season with sea salt and pepper and season with fresh lime juice, tasting as you go. Serve in bowls OR add it back to the pumpkin shell for a beautiful presentation.
- Top with chili powder, some shredded coconut or cilantro leaves if you like.