I love quinoa and I worship beets. I put these two superfood together along with my favourite greens and herbs and my quinoa has been heightened to new levels. This gluten-free, high fiber salad loaded in beta carotene and iron is the the perfect take-along lunch-in-a-glass jar, side dinner salad or even a hearty enough main. Double below recipe and make it on Sunday and eat it leftover all week long. Enjoy.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 3 small to medium beets
- 1 TBLS Garlic, chopped
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup mint, chopped
- 2 TBLS fresh lemon juice
- 2 TBLS olive oil
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1 cup shredded kale, destemmed
- salt and pepper to taste
- A bit of goat cheese (totally optional)
- Preheat oven to 450. Cut the greens off of the beets, leave skin on and dice up, coat with 1 TBLS olive oil and garlic.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a fork easily pierces the beet. Set aside.
- While beets roast, prepare quinoa. In a medium saucepan, bring water and quinoa to a boil. Cover and lower heat to low, allowing to simmer for 10 minutes, until all water is absorbed and the grains are puffed up.
- Turn off heat and keep in pot until ready to combine with beets.
- In a medium size bowl, add the quinoa, beet, parsley, mint, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and stir well until fully incorporated. The quinoa will turn a gorgeous shade of red.
- Add in greens, toss lightly.
- Crumble a bit of goat cheese in.