I don’t do meat much, but this is just so delicious and easy that I felt like it deserved a spot. Coconut oil and coconut milk boost up the healthy fat proportions, and of course I always have to add in my favourite mighty green kale when I see fit. This sauce is savoury enough that the kale just folds right in. I am a firm believer that a little meat is fine once in awhile as long as you know where it is coming from and you know it is organically and humanely raised. This recipe is a keeper and even better it doubles either as a easy weekday meal or the star of a dinner party.
- 1 whole roasting chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Coconut oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 whole pieces star anise
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro stems
- 1 large lemon, cut into eighths
- 1 stalk lemongrass, 5 inches of white part only, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 3-4 cups torn greens (kale, shocker and the more the better)
- 1 (16-ounce) can coconut milk
- quinoa, brown or black rice to serve
Pat the chicken dry and sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Best if you can refrige chicken up to 24 hours, but if you are cooking it right away, set aside while you prepare remaining ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 375° F.
Melt coconut oil in dutch oven. Put chicken breast side up over medium and let it sizzle for about 30 seconds. Carefully flip and crisp the other side for another 30 seconds.
Transfer the chicken back into the pot, breast side up, and add the cinnamon stick, star anise, chopped cilantro stems, lemon, lemongrass, garlic, onion and coconut milk. Cook uncovered in the preheated oven for 60 to 90 minutes. Baste every 30 minutes with sauce from pot.
Chicken is done after 2 hours. Take chicken out of pot and remove lemon peel, lemongrass twigs. Reduce sauce to half and then add the kale. Slice chicken, serve over brown rice, black rice or quinoa. Spoon sauce over chicken and grain. Garnish with cilantro and scallions… YUM
Lets Make Healthy Your Habit
Get In the Know. Sign Up Now!