This dish is simple to make and quite tasty as a side, appetizer, or main dish, if paired with whole grains. You all know how I worship Kale. But here is a reminder: Kale is a spectacular source of calcium as well as vitamins K and A—important for maintaining healthy skin and strong bones, supporting the immune system, and producing red blood cells. Serve on whole grain baguette or millet toast for a healthy appetizer.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth, divided
- 2 bunches curly kale or dinosaur kale, chopped or torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Braggs Liquid Aminos (Bragg Liquid Aminos is a gluten-free soy sauce
Preheat a large wok or skillet over medium heat. Add onion and 1/2 cup broth and sauté for 3 minutes. Add kale, the remaining 1/4 cup broth, beans, and lemon zest and juice. Cook on low until tender.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds and if using, Bragg Liquid Aminos.
Great on its own, on toast or as a side to a piece of fish.