This dish is simple to make and quite tasty as a side, appetizer, or main dish, if paired with whole grains. You all know how I worship Kale. But here is a reminder: Kale is a spectacular source of calcium as well as vitamins K and A—important for maintaining healthy skin and strong bones, supporting the immune system, and producing red blood cells. Serve on whole grain baguette or millet toast for a healthy appetizer.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth, divided
- 2 bunches curly kale or dinosaur kale, chopped or torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Braggs Liquid Aminos (Bragg Liquid Aminos is a gluten-free soy sauce
- substitute made with NON-GMO soybeans and contains 16 Amino Acids.
Preheat a large wok or skillet over medium heat. Add onion and 1/2 cup broth and sauté for 3 minutes. Add kale, the remaining 1/4 cup broth, beans, and lemon zest and juice. Cook on low until tender.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds and if using, Bragg Liquid Aminos.