Mac And Cheese, Nourished Up
We still use a bit of dairy, but halved the cheese by incorporating nutritional yeast into the recipe. Nutritional yeast is packed in B-vitamins, folic acid, selenium, zinc, and protein and is gluten-free (check specific brands for certification), and contains no added sugars or preservatives. And is it ever tasty, cheesy and savoury. So this dish is bursting in flavour, phyto-nutrients and nutrition with half the saturated fat as the traditional take.
- 12 OZ Multigrain elbow pasta
- 1 head Cauliflower finely chopped
- 2 cups Brown rice crumbs
- 2 tbsp Ground chia
- 1/2 cups Parsley chopped
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 cups Nutritional yeast I like red star brand
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 cups Extra sharp cheddar grated
- 1/2 cups Non fat greek yogurt or plain unsweetened almond milk yogurt
- 1/2 cups Unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 400° F. Cook the pasta according to the package. Adding the cauliflower for last 3 minutes of cooking; drain and set aside.
- Mix brown rice crumbs/chai mix with parsley, 2 tablespoons of the oil, salt and pepper.
- Return the pasta pot to medium heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the onion, salt and pepper until soft, 3 minutes.
- Mix in the pasta and cauliflower and the cheese, nutritional yeast, yogurt, almond milk and mustard.
- Transfer to a shallow 3-quart baking dish, sprinkle with the crumb mixture, and bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.