This salad offers phytonutrients, great protein, iron and Omega-3 essential fatty acids which are necessary for brain and skin health. They also provide excellent fiber keeping you full longer and helps the body to remove excess cholesterol. This is the kind of recipe my clients love to add to their detox or cleansing routines. It tastes so good, it makes eating healthy addictive.
- 1 ½ cups cooked brown lentils, cooled and drained
- ¼ cup sliced green onions, green part only
- 1 cup packed thinly sliced baby spinach
- ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 8 kalamata olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic or umeboshi vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint, cilantro or both
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper
- Any other fav veggies, chopped in bite size pieces
COMBINE lentils, green onions, spinach, tomatoes, olives, and walnuts. MIX well.
In small bowl, WHISK oil, vinegar, mustard, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper together. POUR over lentil salad and mix well.
ALLOW salad to set at room temperature for at least 20 minutes, stirring a few times before serving.
*Refrigerates for up to 3 days for picnics and lunch leftovers!