Easy Black Bean Soup
Love this easy pantry soup. High in fiber and loaded with antioxidants and just as good as a leftover lunch.Make sure to plan ahead and allow time for soaking the beans. Serve with salsa and 100% corn chips, if you like.
- 1 lb Dried black beans rinsed (about 2 1/2 cans)
- 2 Medium onions chopped
- 1 Large bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Ground chipotle pepper
- 2 tbsp Fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp Fresh lime juice
- 1/2 Ripe avocado chopped
- Greek yogurt plain non fat
- Soak the beans overnight or 6 to 8 hours prior to cooking. Drain and rinse.
- In a large pot, bring 1/2 cup water to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cumin and chipotle and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add drained beans and 10 cups water. Bring soup to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until beans are tender.
- Remove 4 cups soup and carefully purée in a blender. Return purée to pot and stir in cilantro, nutritional yeast and lime juice.
- Spoon into bowls for serving and garnish with avocado.