Creamy and savory, this protein powerhouse is a main meal with extra greens or a beautiful side that will surely steal the show.
- 16 baby red beets, trimmed
- 2 Tbs. sherry vinegar, divided
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 4 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 tsp. chopped tarragon
- 2 tsp. minced shallot
- 2 tsp. minced green onion
- 1 Tbs. lime zest
- 1 cup wild arugula leaves
- 2 Tbs. chopped pistachio nuts
- 2 Tbs. lime juice
- Grapefruit slices for garnish, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place beets, 1 Tbs. vinegar, and 1 cup water in large baking dish. Season with salt, if desired, and bake 1 hour, or until beets are tender. Cool, then peel and quarter.
2. Bring quinoa and 2 & 1/2 cups water to a boil in medium saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender and water is absorbed. Drain, and cool. Toss with 1 & 1/2 Tbs. oil.
3. Mash avocado with tarragon, shallot, 1 Tbs. oil, lime juice, and lime zest. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Toss beets in remaining 1 & 1/2 Tbs. oil and remaining 1 Tbs. vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
5. Divide arugula, beets, quinoa, and avocado mixture among serving plates. Sprinkle with pistachios, and garnish with grapefruit, if using.