I’m not big on eating Chinese food out because it usually is loaded with salt, oil and other not so good-for-you things. But here is a Nourished rendition of the classic ‘Chicken and Broccoli.” Love the sesame seeds adding some calcium to this high protein dish. Kids love it too. Double up. You will be thankful for these leftovers.
- 1/4 cup wheat-free tamari. I like Liquid Bragg's
- 1/4 chicken broth, low sodium please
- 1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 organic boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small head broccoli, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 scallion, chopped to garnish
Heat sesame oil in a large frying pan. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the chicken breasts in one layer to the pan. Let brown for about a minute on each side. Add the broccoli, Liquid Bragg’s and chicken broth, reduce to a medium low heat and let simmer and steam for about 10-12 minutes until the broccoli is soft but still has some bite and the chicken is cooked all the way through.
Plate the chicken and broccoli, leaving the juices in the pan. Add the sesame seeds to the liquid and cook for another minute. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and broccoli and garnish with scallions and more sesame seeds. Serve over quinoa or brown rice.
Lets Make Healthy Your Habit
Get In the Know. Sign Up Now!