Cacao Puffed Quinoa Bars
These tasty nutritional powerhouses tick all the boxes in the macronutrient stakes. Healthy Fats: coconut oil; Protein and Complex carbs: hemp, quinoa; Antioxidant: cacao and cranberries; Taste: hello chocolate. These are a great post workout snack, not to mention the kids will love these after school, during school (leave out nuts) or whenever on the go.
- 1/2 cups Coconut oil
- 2 tbsp Coconut butter
- 1/2 cup Raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp Hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 cup Puffed quinoa see below
- 1/4 cup Dried cranberries
- 1/4 cups Walnuts or pistachios shelled
- Puffing quinoa lightens up quinoa’s hearty consistency without changing the nutritional profile. Simply pour quinoa into large dry pot. Heat and stir for about 5-6 minutes.
- Melt coconut oil and coconut butter in a saucepan. Sift and stir in the raw cacao powder and blend in the maple syrup, hemp seeds, salt, puffed quinoa, cranberries and pistachios.
- Grease and line loaf pan. Pour the mixture into pan and chill in the fridge overnight until set (overnight). Cut into snack-size bites, or heartier bars at approximately 1/2 inch thick.