Make your plate a Power Plate. The more naturally colourful your meal is, the more likely it is to have an abundance of carotenoids, which are pigments that give fruits and vegetables their bright colours. Beta-carotene, lycopene, and lutein are all different varieties of carotenoids that act as antioxidants with strong anti-cancer properties. These tasty beet burgers are not only loaded with health boosting benefits but are loaded with flavour. Double recipe and freeze as I won’t lie, they are a but more time consuming then most my recipes, but seriously worth it. So pick a night when you are not crazed with life and enjoy some well deserved relaxation in your kitchen.
Makes about 8-10.
- 3 beets, roasted
- 1 egg (water mixed with flax if you are a vegan)
- 8 multigrain, millet buns, or if are all Nourished, wrap it in collard leaves
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cup walnuts, pulsed to chunky powder
- 1 heaping tablespoon garlic
- 1.5 cup cooks, cooled brown rice
- 1 Cup brown rice flour, or Buckwheat flour or whole grain flour if you aren't gluten-free (this dries up mixture to make into patties. You could also add more walnut mixture)
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 TSP cumin
- 1 TSP paprika
- 2TBSP Dijon mustard
- Pink Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- TOPPINGS—add as many or as little
- Fresh arugula
- Sauted mushrooms
PREP and save time: Roast beets and cook rice the day before or a couple hours before.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Sauté onions in olive oil until translucent.
Process walnuts (I use the Vitamix) a few seconds until powdery and crumby. Put in large bowl.
Pulse beets and half onions in same blender until it is pureed. Mix with walnuts. Add rest of onion, mustard, egg (or flax and water), brown rice, flour, herbs and spices to the beautiful red mix. Stir until well combined.
Using your hands, roll and press into a patty. Careful beet juice is crazy colourful so make sure you are not wearing your Sunday best.
Add olive oil to large skillet over medium heat. Carefully add patties to pan; cook 2ish minutes until browning. Flip. Transfer baking sheet. When all burgers done, place baking sheet in oven; bake patties for 5 minutes.
Top each with burger with your fav burger toppings.
Lets Make Healthy Your Habit
Get In the Know. Sign Up Now!