Best Beet Burgers
Make your plate a Power Plate. The more naturally colourful your meal is, the more likely it is to have an abundance of carotenoids, which are pigments that give fruits and vegetables their bright colours. Beta-carotene, lycopene, and lutein are all different varieties of carotenoids that act as antioxidants with strong anti-cancer properties. These tasty beet burgers are not only loaded with health boosting benefits but are loaded with flavour. Double recipe and freeze as I won’t lie, they are a but more time consuming then most my recipes, but seriously worth it. So pick a night when you are not crazed with life and enjoy some well deserved relaxation in your kitchen.
- 3 Beets roasted
- 1 Egg (water mixed with flax if you are vegan)
- 8 Multigrain, millet buns (or wrap in collard leaves)
- 1 Red onion diced
- 1 cups walnuts pulsed to chunky powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic
- 1 1/2 cups Cooked and cooled brown rice
- 1 cups Brown rice flour or Buckwheat or whole grain flour if you aren't gluten-free (this dries up mixture to make into patties. You could also add more walnut mixture)
- 1/2 cups Cilantro
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Pink sea salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh arugula
- Sauteed mushrooms
- PREP and save time: Roast beets and cook rice the day before or a couple hours before.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Sauté onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Process walnuts (I use the Vitamix) a few seconds until powdery and crumby. Put in large bowl.
- Pulse beets and half onions in same blender until it is pureed. Mix with walnuts. Add rest of onion, mustard, egg (or flax and water), brown rice, flour, herbs and spices to the beautiful red mix. Stir until well combined.
- Using your hands, roll and press into a patty. Careful beet juice is crazy colourful so make sure you are not wearing your Sunday best.
- Add olive oil to large skillet over medium heat. Carefully add patties to pan; cook 2ish minutes until browning. Flip. Transfer baking sheet. When all burgers done, place baking sheet in oven; bake patties for 5 minutes.
- Top each with burger with your fav burger toppings.