Sweet potato and almond butter give this soup a creamy, decadent texture and the greens give it an antioxidant punch. This interesting combo is such a crowd pleaser, serve with salad and dinner is served. This soup is easily veganized. Cook once eat three times. Double and Freeze!
- 4 cups chicken stock, if vegan, use veggie broth.
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (2 cups)
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast. If vega, use diced firm tofu
- 1/2 cup smooth almond butter, (organic please)
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Combine the stock, onion, garlic, and sweet potato in a stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the chicken, if not using chicken, skip this step. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
In a small bowl, whisk together the almond butter and 1/2 cup of the soup mixture into a thick paste. Add ginger to the soup and bring to a boil, then add tofu and reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the almond butter paste. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle the soup into bowls, and squeeze with lime wedge.