Yummy, healthy and oh so satisfying, this salad is a knockout. The more you eat the better you feel. Beets support blood circulation, the heart, liver, and large intestine. High in boron, a mineral critical for hormone production, beets treat anemia, are anti-inflammatory, purify the blood, and alleviate constipation. Apples are used in Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda to treat the heart, lungs and large intestines. Apples are rich in pectin to help lower cholesterol, and flavonoid antioxidants to help protect against heart disease
Make the beets sweeter by quickly sautéing in 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil before mixing with the apple.
- 1 pound beets
- 2 apples, washed and cored
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1. Wash the beets and apples. Shred by hand or in a food processor fitted with a shredding blade.
2. Scrape into a bowl.
3. Toss with the salt, pepper, olive oil and orange juice. Serve.