True, pumpkins are fun to carve. But I love to eat them even more because of their super nutrient-rich value:—Vital antioxidants like beta carotene; Vitamins A, C, B and E; and minerals niacin, copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus. That’s a mouth full. Get eating.
Here are 10 easy ways to enjoy this super-fruit that comes with as much versatility as it does protein, fiber and a favourite fall flavour.
1. Pancakes. Our favorite Sunday morning tradition got better. Try these protein pumpkin pancakes to fill up with the good stuff.
2. Oatmeal. Pumpkin Pie for Breakfast? Here’s ours. Topped with pecans, pumpkin seeds and a touch of maple syrup and it’s basically pumpkin pie (almost).
3. Yogurt. Luckily it doesn’t exist yet along side the rows of sugary flavored yogurt. It is super easy to make. Combine ½ cup of plain, low-fat Greek yogurt or almond yogurt with about ¼ cup canned pumpkin. Add cinnamon and pecans!
4. Granola. Pumpkin seeds pack in an extra crunch to an already healthy granola mix. Serve it a top some pumpkin yogurt for one big pumpkin party. My favourite fall snack.
5. Hummus. Homemade hummus is just so much better. No chemiclas, fillers, fake flavours. And This spin on the classic Middle Eastern spread is so savoury you will be adding pumpkin even when it’s no longer fall. I kid you not.
6. Pumpkin Chocolate cookie. So these cookies are ridiculously good and as easy as the basic choco cookie recipe, but jacked up with crazy health benefits—fiber, protein low sugar, healthy fats. Need I say more?
7. Roasted seeds. DON’T THROW THEM OUT. Enjoy everything this fruit has to offer. Simply roast them in the oven with a splash of olive oil and salt (or other spices!) for a crunchy snack loaded in zinc, omega 3s and magnesium.
8. Quesadillas. For a filling Mexican treat, put some chopped, sauteed pumpkin (along with some jalapeños and cheese for good measure) between the tortillas. No sour cream necessary!
9. Protein shakes. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or post workout, whip up my favorite pumpkin pie smoothie that’s packed with so much nurtrient-goodness it is crazy.
10. Soup. OMG this soup is meant for sharing. You can’t get any healthier either. Well, I take it back: Serve it with a green salad and dinner is not only done but done to health perfection.