Giant portobello mushroom caps are the foundation for mini pizzas, packed with the same intense flavors as the standard pizza-parlor pie but minus the calories. Use a commercially prepared pesto for quick assembly of these pizzas. Serve with a tossed green salad.
- 4 giant portobello mushroom caps (about 20 oz. total)
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar, or more as needed
- 1 1/2 Tbs. basil pesto or tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded combination low-fat mozzarella and provolone cheeses
- Your fave veggies as toppings
- Pinch oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
1. Preheat oven to 500F. Line baking sheet with foil, and spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Wipe mushroom caps clean, and remove stems. Chop stems, and place in mixing bowl. Using small spoon, gently scoop out black gills on underside of mushroom caps, and discard gills. Place mushrooms, cap side down, on foil-lined sheet.
3. Combine balsamic vinegar and pesto in small mixing bowl, and brush mixture on mushroom caps. Place in oven, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender.
4. Meanwhile, combine in bowl all the toppings, olive oil, salt, pepper tossing to mix well. Remove mushrooms from oven, and, dividing mixture evenly, fill each cap. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over mushrooms.
5. Bake 7 to 10 minutes more, remove from oven and serve.